Dear New Families,
Welcome to the SBMS community! We know that starting at a new school brings a lot of excitement and many questions. We’re here to help! We put together a list of upcoming events and dates to add to your calendar as well as reminders about items that you should have completed by now.
- All of your forms should have been completed and turned into the main office. These forms are Social & Harassment Policy, Student Clothing Policy, Technology & Media Policy, Orientation Waiver, Medical & Treatment Authorization, Medical Evaluation and (optional) Volunteer Driver Form. If you haven’t yet turned in these forms, please do so at your earliest convenience.
- Parent Association Sponsored Beach Day: Thursday, August 18, 2-5 pm (optional)
Our Parent Association (PA) is holding a beach day (2-5 pm) at Santa Claus Lane Beach. This event is optional for new families and their mentor families. Bring the entire family!
- New Family Reception & Diamond Day: Sunday, August 28, 2-4:30 pm (attendance strongly encouraged)
All new families are invited to meet their classmates, teachers, staff, and parents. We’ll begin with a reception at 2 pm, followed by a presentation at 2:30 pm. Afterward, families are invited to visit information stations set up throughout the campus. This is a great way to get all of your questions answered about the beginning of the school year! Learn about electives, the Orientation Ride and Overnight, bikes and equipment needed, our lunch program, school supplies, and more. You can also shop at The Warehouse and sign up to volunteer for Parent Association committees. Light refreshments provided. Please rsvp to email@example.com at your earliest convenience. This is a great event and helps to ease new students’ anxiety a little by getting to meet some classmates and be on campus before the first day of school!
- NOTE: The preliminary calendar distributed in your summer mailing packet included a New Family Party on August 28 and Diamond Day for New Families on September 6. We have combined these two events into the event listed above on August 28. (For new families, there is no need to come to campus on September 6.)
- First Day of School: Wednesday, September 7 at 10 am
New students arrive at 10 am. We know you’re excited to get the school year started, but we kindly ask that you not drop off your child before 10 am that day.
- Orientation Ride & Overnight: Thursday, September 8 Friday, September 9
The entire school begins the year with an Orientation Ride & Overnight on Thursday, September 8. Please see the packing list, here. More information will be sent in The Scoop (see next bullet point) and will be available at the New Family Reception/Diamond Day on Sunday, August 28 (see above).
- Weekly News Email: The Scoop
Starting Thursday, August 25, you will receive our weekly news email called The Scoop. The Scoop has information about events and news for the upcoming weeks, including sports schedule, trip information, campus happenings, Parent Association and fundraising announcements, and more. This is the one source for news at SBMS. Please plan on reading this email every week!
- Ordering Lunches: Locally Grown Kids
SBMS partners with local company Locally Grown Kids to provide delicious and nutritious hot lunches. You can send a lunch with your child, or you can order from Locally Grown Kids. You’ll need to create an online account. Ordering for the fall semester is now open. Click through to the Deli page for more information.
We hope you and your family are as excited as we are for the 2016-17 school year!
Santa Barbara Middle School
PS: We recommend that you bookmark this link to our school calendar. It is updated on a regular basis. Plus, you can add the SBMS calendar to your Google calendar!