Backing up your email
Back up, or Not?
Check to see what type of email account you have (POP or IMAP), and decide accordingly:
Launch Entourage and open up any folders you may have on the left side of the screen.
- If all your email is located in the "On My Computer" section (INBOX or subfolders therein), all is good. Your emails are already ON your computer, and you don't need to do anything (other than back up your COMPUTER now and again).
- If your email appears in a section with another label (like "Gmail" or "SBMS") and the folders appear with little green pipes arranged next to each one (highlighed by the red arrow below), then you're using an IMAP account, and your email is located on the server as well as your Mac, and potentially susceptible to loss. You should follow the directions below to back up your email.
To back up your email, you must create a folder (or subfolder) in the "On My Computer
" section of Entourage to store your saved mail.
- Start by selecting "On My Computer" by clicking on it.
- Using the "New" icon, click and select "Subfolder".
A new folder will be created and highlighted, ready to be named.
Go back to your IMAP account ("Gmail", in this example), and select the INBOX by clicking on it.
- Select any email you wish to back up, and drag it to the new folder. (You can select multiple contiguous emails by holding down the Shift key and selecting, or non-contiguous items by holding down the Command key and clicking to select.)