Backing up your email
Bringing it down from "The Cloud"
Gmail lets you interact with data (in the form of email) that lives online.
If you have Gmail set up to collect your SBMS mail, it is just showing a window to the data that is "on" our SBMS email server. When that server is switched "off", you will no longer be able to view your SBMS emails. You can, however, use Google's tools to download that in the form of an Archive, which can then be viewed by an email program that uses the .mbox data format (Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.)
- To start, open Gmail in your browser.
- Click on the "waffle"/matrix icon in the upper right corner to access your other Google Apps, and select "My Account".
- Scroll down to the section on "Personal info & privacy" and click on the "Control your content" link.
- Scroll to view "Download your data" and click on the link for "CREATE ARCHIVE".
- This page allows you to download ALL your Google data. Click on "Select none" to start. All the green checkmarks will turn to gray "x"s.
- Scroll down until you see "Mail", and click to activate that option, turning back on the green checkbox, then click on "Next".
- You'll see that "1 product selected" is visible. Click on "Create archive" to start the process.
- You'll get some feedback, showing the backup process is working--and an advisement about how long it might take.
- Click on "Manage Archives".
- Once your data is ready, it will appear on this screen as a "Download" button. Click that to download your backup.
- You can leave this window open and periodically refresh it to see if the file is ready to download, or check your Gmail Inbox. You'll receive an email notification when the file is ready to download.
- When you download your Archive, it will appear in the "Downloads" folder on your machine, in a folder labelled "Takeout".
- Inside the "Takeout" folder is ANOTHER folder named MAIL containing your MBOX file.
- To view your backup file, you'll need to open Apple Mail, and import the backup.
- Select "File > Import Mailboxes..." to start.
- Choose "Files in mbox format" and
- Click "Continue".
- Navigate to the DOWNLOADS folder, into TAKEOUT, and finally into MAIL, and select "All mail including Spam and Trash.mbox".
- Click "Choose".
- You'll find your emails in a folder named "Import" in the list of Mailboxes on the left side of the screen.