Backing up your email
Bringing it down from "The Cloud"
A webmail interface (Horde/RoundCube/SquirrelMail) lets you interact with data (in the form of email) that lives online.
It is just showing a window to the data that is "on" our SBMS email server. When that server is switched "off", you will no longer be able to view your SBMS emails. You can, however, use HORDE's tools to download that in the form of an MBOX file, which can then be viewed by an email program that uses the .mbox data format (Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).
If you usually use RoundCube or SquirrelMail to view your email, the same emails will be visible in HORDE.
- Log into sbms.org/webmail using your SBMS email and password, then click on HORDE.
- On the left side of the screen, click on "Folder Actions" and select "Create Mailbox".
- Name this something clever, like "Backup".
- Select all the emails you want to save, and drag them to the newly created Backup folder.
- Right-click (or Control-click) on the Backup folder, and select "Export".
- Select "MBOX Zip-Compressed" from the pop-up menu, then
- Click "OK"
- Leave the window open until you see the download start.
- In your DOWNLOADS folder will appear an MBOX file with the name of your folder (in this case "INBOX.Backup.mbox").
- This file can be imported into Apple Mail to view (see the end of the Gmail instructions for importing into Mail).